Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another scarf

My sister's birthday is coming up next week.  I tried to start some projects for Christmas, but I just couldn't get anything done.  Moving back into our house and cleaning up the house we were in took all of my time.  However, I decided that for her birthday, I would make a Natalie Chanin inspired scarf.  It is similar to the one I did shown in an earlier post.  However, this time I decided to try something different.  I used a black and white T-shirt material, so it is high contrast.  I made it reversible by using embroidery floss and sketched a trumpet vine directly on the material with soap.  If you don't know this trick, it is a great one that my mother taught me.  You can sketch your quilt lines onto dark fabric with soap.  It fades, so sometimes I have to do it more than once, but I just give myself a general outline.  I then stitched the leaves, stem and flower, and then cut out using a reverse applique technique.  I have to say, that the reverse applique is SOOOOOO much faster than the applique.  I was able to finish this scarf while my kids were at school.  It was a fun project, which I hope my sister enjoys.



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm sure your sister will enjoy the piece. Hey I'm not familiar with the applique, but would love to see pictures of the process if you decide to do it again!