Sunday, January 24, 2010

Down and dirty quilting

My latest project took a few hours, but let me start at the beginning of the story.  My competition horse, Oliver, lives most of his life outside.  When he is inside, he gets bored and starts to get into mischief.  He has flooded the barn twice by turning on the water faucet, he can open his latch and door, he likes the windows open, if they are closed he'll bust them out.... 


After bringing a pony home for my kids, he decided he would gallop around the field showing off, he then misjudged the distance and footing and slid into a gate, caught his legs in it, and sliced open his leg.  He had to have 4 big stitches.  Now while his leg heals, he has to live in a stall for the next three weeks.  I put away his outside blanket and I had to pull out the inside sheet and blanket.  They both had seen a little wear, so after washing them again, I had to patch them both and sew and quilt the patches on the blanket.  A few hours of work sure beats spending $100+ dollars on a new blanket and $60+ on a new sheet.  Sometimes you do what you gotta do... Now back to my art pieces.

3 comments:

K Spoering said...

A beautiful horse! I hope he heals quickly.

Jennifer said...

He is beautiful! What kind of competition do you attend with him? He must be very intelligent - which explains all the mischief! Hope he heals well and quickly - and you aren't forced to clean up messes these 3 weeks!

ringadal said...

Thanks for the compliments. Oliver is a thoroughbred/Hanoverian cross. He has gone off to another facility for a couple of weeks, so I can have help in dealing with him.