Monday, September 26, 2011

Newly mounted piece

Here is a piece that I just finished mounting.  Once I got lighting on it, I saw that the mounting still needs some tweaking.

It is a small experimental piece 4 inches wide by 6 inches tall.  It is the first piece in which I have tried shaping a tapestry with pulled warp.  In the aqua weft, I would leave small rectangles every inch or so and used paper to hold my space.  In the green grass section I just continued to weave.  I did this piece on a small copper pipe loom.  Once finished, I pulled the warp to form pleats in the grass.  It supposed to be reminiscent of waving sea grass.  Unfortunately, you cannot see the pleating in this photograph.  I am not sure how to light it to see the pleating.  

This piece was a study for a larger piece I was thinking of weaving, but I decided I did not like the results as it did not turn out as I had envisioned.  So, rather than scaling up this piece, I am thinking of a new piece working from a photo I took on Lake Champlain while in Vermont.

No comments: