I started with a photograph of a lonely sand pail abandoned in a sandbox. One of my children had taken the photograph, which was a bit crooked and bit out of focus, but I loved the image. I drew and redrew the image until Pat and I decided that it had been honed and ready for using. I started weaving it with Joan in a workshop that she held in June of 2008. I learned a few new things, and then came home and started weaving. In between, we renovated our house, I herniated a disc and spent 5 weeks in bed two summers ago unable to weave for months because I couldn't sit and lift my hands, we had other losses in our family, and life continued on.
I reached the sand pail part of the weaving and spent months struggling with it. I wove and rewove it 8 times, then finally got it so I was happy with it in March 2010. Then I got to about 7 inches woven by February 2011 and realized that I was really pulling the sides in. So, I lost 3 inches or so that I unwove. Since then, I have not posted any photos. I have been weaving when time allowed so that I could finish this piece. It was hanging over my head and preventing me from developing other large project.
Today, I am done! I have cut it off the loom, but I still have to finish it and mount it, but I am pleased with it. It is not a large tapestry (113/8" X 13 1/2" ), but it has been a real learning journey for me. When I mount it, I will post the final photo of it, but here is a photo of my finished sand pail tapestry, as yet unnamed.
Thank you so much to Joan and Pat for their help and their encouragement. Now I can really concentrate on my new tapestry for the Pacific Portals show in LA! That one can't take me four years, it is due in LA by March 15 and can only by 10X10" max, and I have already woven 4 inches on it. I will show photos of it later.