Two years ago I struggled to finish my piece for the Small Format show at the ATA (American Tapestry Alliance). This year, I actually finished a week ahead of time, was able to ship it out without having to pay for overnight fees. Last year, I had to call around and find more yarn, I ran out and the local yarn store that had carried it, discontinued the yarn. Yeah! for the web. This year, I had yarn left over.
This piece measures 9 3/4" X 9 3/4". It is of a Pacific rockfish that swims off the coast of California in kelp beds. I really enjoyed weaving this piece, and think it is one of my best pieces. I used beads for the eye, and embroidered the outline of the eye. I decided not to weave the kelp leaves in the tapestry, but make some type of quilted leaf. In the end, I took leftover pieces of silk organza from another project, cut out the leaves, roll-stitched the hem, and then took other pieces, rolled them up and couch stitched them to the leaves to form the ridges that you see on kelp leaves. It was a really enjoyable piece. Hope you like it.